- Around 2.5 million new HIV/AIDS infections per year
- >34 million people living with HIV/AIDS worldwide
- Current antiretroviral therapy can suppress the virus but
- Does not eliminate the proviral reservoirs
- Toxicities and side effects remain
- Risks of resistance
- Requires lifelong adherence to expensive regimens
- HIV-associated complications persist despite viral control
- We need to find a cure; otherwise, HIV will remain a chronic viral infection with the potential to cause and spread lethal disease
- This is the scientific challenge and opportunity of our generation
- CARE is assembling the scientific tools to be able to pursue a more definitive cure for HIV
Why Pursue a More Definitive Cure for HIV/AIDS?
Comments are closed.